Sunday, July 3, 2011

Arriving in Grenada

Every morning for the last week I have woken up and wondered where am I? Which bay or which country am I in? One morning I was even surprised to find myself on a boat and not waking up in my bedroom back home. This only happens on very rare occasions when I am extremely tired and the boat has been still and calm all night. Most nights the boat is gently (or even not so gently) rocking and rolling away, bobbing about on the sea, quietly reminding me where I am.

We have been fast tracking to Grenada as I have a flight to catch in the middle of July for Jilly’s wedding. We left our friends behind in St Lucia last Monday and have traveled down past St Vincent and the Grenadines, stopping over night in Bequia. Then we moved on to Carriacou, the sister island to the north of Grenada the following day. The winds and squalls increased with more tropical waves passing over the islands so we decided to stay put for a few days until they passed. It rained and rained like only the Caribbean rain can. Windows leaked, the salt shaker blocked up and the whole boat was damp inside. We collected massive amounts of rainwater and did massive amounts of laundry, only there was nowhere for anything to dry.

On Saturday the sun peaked out from behind the clouds and we headed out towards Grenada. We decided to go the whole way without breaking the journey. It was just disappointing that the forecast wind decided not to join us and instead we had to motorsail most of the way. At least we had a current with us for a change and made good time once again.

Coming back to Grenada is like coming home; we have spent nearly a year here if you add all the times we have visited together. But as we sailed down the islands west coast none of it was looking familiar and the excitement I was feeling started to ebb. But as we closed in on the south, the landscape brought back memories of previous visits; the tight cluster of buildings weaving their way down to the sea in St Georges, big ships and the clusters of sailboat masts swaying in the harbour provided the welcome home that I needed. As we turned the corner at the south of the island we had only a few more miles to Prickly Bay which is likely to be our home for the next few months.

We dropped anchor at 3.30pm on Saturday afternoon. Pleased with ourselves that we had made it in time for happy hour at De Big Fish, we anchored in a spot that we like and have been in before. We launched the dinghy that was on deck, put the sun shades up and washed and changed. Before dashing ashore we went and spoke to the gentleman on the boat behind us just to be friendly. We hadn’t actually expected him to be annoyed with us as in our opinion there was plenty of room. He was civil enough but not very impressed with where we were anchored and thought we should move. Sim was adamant we were fine and the anchor was well dug in so we went out anyway. It was nice to be sitting back in De Big Fish. A few people hung around the bar. Having not set foot on terra firma for nearly a week a stiff vodka tonic was in order. It’s just a shame it was happy hour, where they match one drink for one :-). Eight drinks cost us less than £10 – I really don’t think we can complain at that – only I can because today I feel ever so slightly jaded.

It will take us a while to get settled back in and to make new friends and wait for old ones to arrive. But in the mean time we are happy to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment